Bangalore Palace
Home » Heritages » Bangalore Palace
Bangalore Palace   |   Bengaluru

Bangalore Palace, located in Bengaluru was built by Rev. J. Garrett, who was the first Principal of the Central High School in Bangalore, now known as Central College. The construction of the palace was started in 1862 and completed in 1944. In 1884, it was bought by the then Maharaja of Mysore Chamarajendra Wadiyar X.

Rev. J. Garrett, the first principal of the Central High School, built this palace with a floor area of 45,000 sq ft (4200 m²). The palace and the grounds surrounding it are spread across 454 acres (183 ha). British officials who were in charge of the education of the young prince HH Chamaraja Wodeyar bought the palace in 1873 A.D. from him at a cost of Rs. 40,000 and later renovated it. In some stories, it was also seen that Tipu Sultan used to spend his summer holidays in Bangalore palace with his parents.

The sprawling grounds surrounding the palace used to be used for holding public events including music concerts. Many international artists have performed in the grounds. Today a legal battle between government and the Mysore Royal family has seen a band of commercial activities.

Photography: [sarangib: #1] [prasadganapule69: #1]


Share this Post

Route Map

Popular places in side Karnataka