Srirangapatna Fort
Home » Heritages » Srirangapatna Fort
Srirangapatna Fort   |   Mandya

Srirangapatna Fort is a historical fort located in Srirangapatna built by the Timmanna Nayaka in 1454, and came to prominence during the rule of Tipu Sultan. The fort was in the hands of the Empire till 1495 when the Wodeyars overpowered the Vijayanagar rulers. The fort was subsequently changing hands between Nawab of Arcot, Peshwas and the Marathas. The fort was fully fortified and the architecture was modified with the help of French architects to meet the growing needs of saving against invaders. The river Kaveri surrounds the fort in one of the sides.

The fort had Lal Mahal and Tipu's palace, which were demolished during the British capture of 1799.

Photography: [Chitra sivakumar: #1]


Share this Post

Route Map

Popular places in side Karnataka